Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, December 5th, 2014 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER at 8:07AM by President Steven Linhart
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min) December 2014 Sign in Sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min) motion by Curb Side Appeal to approve, second by Laura Price. All in favor and none opposed.
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min) given by Treasurer Lacie DeWitt. Thank you to Kathy for book keeping! December 2014 Treasurer Report
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
- 2015 Budget 2015 Budget
- Has not been sent out via email to the membership yet but will be done today. Copies were distributed to everyone present and Steven went through each line item. Steven asked for a motion. Ruth Ann Hocking made the motion to approve the budget as drafted. Second by Judy Andrew. All in favor and none opposed.
- A new slate of officers is being presented to the LBMA for 2015 (due to family emergency the prior President has stepped back)
- Jerry Phillips as President (Associate Member)
- Clint Carter as Vice President
- Ariel Smith as Secretary
- Karl Hintz as Treasurer
- Nicki Whittle made a motion to approve the officers, Judy Andrew seconds, all in favor and none opposed.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
- WSIKF transition to WKM WKM MOA
- President Steven stated that the WSIKF has been a merchant event but the committee for the WSIKF is who runs the event. A Memorandum of Agreement was drafted and reviewed by the board of the LBMA and WKM. Steven asked the LBMA board if anything has been found that needs to be addressed. Ruth Ann Hocking stated that it looks good. Steven stated that the WKM will now be covering the insurance but most of the money will still be supported by LTAC dollars. Jim Sayce stated that this is possible the longest running and most popular event and he wishes that Holli Kemmer will do right by the LBMA. Nicki Whittle asked if this transition would be ongoing over the year or immediate. Motion to approve the MOA by Laura Price, second by Michael Myers of Curb Side Appeal. All in favor and none opposed. Kathy asked if the funds in total will be transferred to the WKM. She thinks that several thousand should be left in the account so that incoming trailing bills can be handled over the next year. Jim asked that Jane Holeman, Holli Kemmer, Kathy Vinzant get together to discuss this.
- Board Meeting scheduled for December 19, 2015 for Kite Festival MOA
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Robyn Schneider (Ruth Ann Hocking)]
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (2015 Board Member)]
- Doggie Olympic Games [Danielle Miller (2015 Board Member)] Kathy asked what the new contact information is for Danielle. She needs all the information for the new board, officers, and chair people.
- SandSations [Joyce Rangila (2015 Board Member)] Joyce is too far spread in work, etc. She would like to have a committee to help her but can’t chair by herself. She would also like to take up an offer from Becky to build a new website that can be updated and managed without Beachdog.com incurring costs. Lacie asked that she speak with Beachdog about the availability of updates through Beachdog.com A better rate can be obtained by negotiating at the time of the contract. 2015 dates and times from the city. The page on Facebook had the incorrect date and can no longer by changed. The Facebook page will probably be cancelled and re-created for that reason. Kiwanis is doing the hot dogs in 2015. Confirmed by Joyce. Joyce is asking for a team of people that are going to work under her and she will coordinate. Holly Beller will contact Chase Millsap about getting more volunteers. Judges have confirmed that they will be available again in 2015.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)]
- Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer (2015 Board Member)] kite posters are going.
- Holidays at the Beach [Natalie Hanson (2015 Board Member)] Ruth Ann Hocking asked if Natalie is solely responsible, Katie Haskin will co-chair. OMG radio may be interested in a sponsorship of the movie.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (2015 Board Member)] Always a success…still laughing!
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum [Holli Kemmer] Fundraising party in March which includes a retrospective of all the kite festivals from the past. Raising money to have them all framed. Each poster costs $80
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] well under way! Theme and guest speaker have been arranged, applications are ready to go out.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] will be held in 2015. Same weekend as Loyalty days, Sat the 2nd of May
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] getting bands for next year already, completed the budget for Summer Fest and Farmers Market. LBMA has 20k downtown walking guides so please visit Merchant Storage and pick some up for your business. Bank of the Pacific has a tri fold hand out of community resources. The FISH philosophy and Long Beach ambassador training will be returning for 2015. The Adrift has volunteered some of the music groups can be utilized at the stage.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Christmas Dinner with showboxes of Joy, Santa and toys for the children. The Elks Magazine has featured the Long Beach lodge several times.
- Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton]
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz]
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips]
- Liaison to Long Beach Marketing Committee [Natalie Hanson]
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price]
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) December 15th
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) December 11th
- Long Beach Marketing Committee:, 9:00am, City Hall (3rd Tuesday) December 16th
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) December 19th
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) January 2nd
Meeting Adjourned by President Steven Linhart at 8:53AM