Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, June 6th, 2014 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER calls to order by Steven Linhart at 8:01AM. Call for a moment of silence in honor of D Day.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min) Outgoing VP Sue Ellyson and Secretary Holly Beller will need replacements for 2015 LBMA General Meeting June 6 2014 Sign in Sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min) Motion to approve by Natalie Hanson, second by Mike Myers, all in favor none opposed
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min) given by Treasurer Lacie DeWitt LBMA Treasurer Report June 6 2014
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min) 86 is current count. New member of Coastal Corner Market, Paw Prints in the Sand and Everything Blasted will be visited today for new membership applications.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
- LBMA Core Values and Mission Statement
o Review, Comment and Adoption
Sherry Hash makes a motion to accept as written, second by Natalie Hanson. All in favor none opposed.
- LBMA By-Law Revisions
o Adoption scheduled for October 2014
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
- YES Club and Wellspring Community Network, Lindsey Hylton
o A coalition of different groups within the community with a focus on preventing substance abuse. HS students taking part in a state wide event for prevention of youth substance abuse. The Let’s Draw the Line campaign has several parts. The one most recent was the can campaign where students found random stores which sell alcohol. Students assessed the community environment, advertising, healthy food options and product placement. Placed bottle tags on alcohol warning fines and jail in order to get adult attention and consequences of supplying alcohol to youth. Per survey, youth alcohol use is going down since 2012. Students found that the alcohol is being placed in the back of the store and without advertising and placement near junk food. 360-783-1090 to contact Lindsey.
o Many children on the peninsula are below poverty level. Teachers are supplying children with the supplies that are needed. So a campaign was started in conjunction with Fire Dist 1, Chinook Observer and Peninsula Baptist. Coastal Community Network could supply the materials but not the back packs. Last year 5k was raised but this year CCAP is not involved and so far over 6k has been raised but the goal is 10k due to the lack of funding from CCAP. Average cost last year for supplies per student was $80 without the back pack. Goal would get 350 backpacks and about $20 in supplies in each pack. 360-665-2327 to reach Bill or Gloria Buck.
- Pacific Count EDC, Paul Philpot
o ACRE = Attract, Create, Retain, and Expand. EDC attracts businesses from outside the area, looks to keep them within the community and then grow the business. 360-642-9330
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Robyn Schneider (Ruth Ann Hocking)] No report
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Sherry Hash)] less than a week to go! Rack cards are here and ready to put in your business! 150 people registered for the beach run. Doogers is doing the chowder this year.
- Doggie Olympic Games [Danielle Miller (Holly Beller)] Radio ads are on and swag bags are being stuffed.
- SandSations [Jenny Lombardo/Joyce Rangila (Holly Beller)] Supplies for bonfire for 100 people. $2500 worth of fireworks on Friday night is ready. 2 master’s teams and a 3rd is being worked on. Same weekend as Sand in the City in PDX. Dennis Company will be supplying sand tools to be sold at the beach. Judges still needed. Cedars have 2 more judges.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Lacie DeWitt)] needs a bounce house. Nikki with OMG suggested calling the Seaside Factory Outlets bounce place. First year of doing official sponsorships and they are getting good response! $50 gets you on the shirt, less than $50 will get you placement elsewhere but not on the t-shirt. Vintage Roadside who dies the t-shirts takes the shirts and information to all of his events.
- Kite Festival [Jane Holman (Steven Linhart)] Holli Kemmer is the new Development and Events Director for the Kite Museum and will be taking over the Kite Festival from Jane Holman who will be retiring.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holly Beller (Lacie DeWitt)] this will be the last year for Holly as chair.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] no report
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum [Holli Kemmer] no report
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Amelia Earhart will be the guest and the theme will be UP, UP, AND AWAY!
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] no report
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Summerfest this weekend is the Lonesome Highway Band. Balloon artist will be twisting balloons in the gazebo. Next week, Friday the 13th will be the opening of the Columbia Pacific Farmers market with expanded hours 3-7. Greg Parke will be on the stage!
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] June 21st will be the Golf tourney for Food4kids. Runs about 15k for the year including back packs. Last year 74 kids needed the back packs. The golf tourney is the only fundraiser for this campaign. Tourney is a scramble and includes a fish taco dinner. Needs raffle prizes and PLAYERS! At Peninsula Golf Course. Starts at Noon with a shot gun start. Free Golf Clinic for kids on Sunday Jun2 22nd and 29th at surfside golf course. 360-642-8244 to reach Natalie Hanson. Limit is 25 kids!
- Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton]meeting this upcoming Tuesday at the county building on Sandridge at 3pm
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Holly Beller]
o 2014 membership is up over 2013, ad going into Alaska Airlines Magazine, over 65 different media pick-ups for Clam Festival. Next meeting at Chen’s
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Steven Linhart] numbers for sales tax and lodging or OMG up…..the best year EVER and it is only June. Kudos to Andi Day and Ragan Myers!
- Liaison to Long Beach Marketing Committee [Sue Ellyson] there will be a new chair appointed now that Sue is working for the city. Cost for Swag bags for the cruise ship guests (chap sticks, taffy, etc) was approved. Few more ideas in the works for presentation to city council. (Treasure Hunt and tear sheet map with business and activities) Hospitality tours will begin in the fall again with a new name of Tourism Ambassador Certification.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price]
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) June 16th
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, Chen’s Restaurant (2nd Thursday) June 12th
- Long Beach Marketing Committee:, 9:00am, City Hall (3rd Tuesday) June 17th
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) June 20th
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) NO MEETING JULY & AUGUST
Motion to adjourn by Nikki Whittle, second by Steven Linhart at 9:02AM