Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER by President Steven Linhart at 7:58AM reminder of our low attendance at the September meeting and that we are moving the Sept general to August for 2015. 2015 Meeting Schedule
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min) Sign In Sheet October General 2014
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min) Motion to approve by Keleigh Schwartz, second by Mike Myers. All in favor and none opposed.
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min) Given by treasurer Lacie Dewitt. Lacie stated that looking back at this time last year, our numbers look about the same if not better. Gayle inquired if there are any capital projects which Steven confirmed that we do have the small trailer being re-roofed by Dr. Roof. Other repairs need to be done over the winter and is open for contractors to consider. Holli Kemmer asked if the cost for the repairs was charged back to each festival. Steven answered that not at this time have any of the festivals been charged for the use of the trailers. Money comes from the general funds. Budget October 2014
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min) 90 stuffed envelopes are done and more will be sent out that include the business license list from the City of Long Beach. Steven wants to remind our membership to come to the meetings so that can stay informed! Included in the mailer is a Merchant After Hours reminder and the 2015 meeting schedule. Flyers for the Merchant After Hours are also available. 2015 Meeting Schedule 2015 Membership Letter
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
- Doug Goelz, Tents for Troops Doug has spent time since 2011 assisting with the organization of the program and 501c3 organization. The program is free camping for active military. Each campground donates 2 sites for 2 nights each for active military member or their family. All 50 states except for Hawaii, Nevada and North Dakota. Now expanding to RV’s. In Washington only 16-20 parks are partnering but no state parks.
- Dave Erickson, General Manager, Chautauqua Lodge Dave has been here since Feb working and wants to be involved with the LBMA. Has heard that a conference center has been brought to the membership for discussion. Chautauqua is an underutilized space and has undergone extensive rehab and is ready for use! Holds up to about 250 people with chairs, tables, dance floor, linens, 3 different rooms available and even a 4th could be used. Gayle asked if once everything is complete if we could have a tour after one of our general meetings. Lots of parking too!
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
- Jim Entler, Executive Director of the SMALL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT PROGRAM, INC. (a non-profit corporation) and the owner of EMC2 CONSULTING Jim Entler, Small Business Management Program
- 501c3, all business owners are members. Class has been ongoing for over 30 years. The board program approved a scholarship and is asking if we want to take part in the program. Total cost is $495 but the board will match whatever we choose to contribute, the student will cover the remaining cost. Class is once a month, with one on-site visit per month and deal with specific site issues. Simple business education so that the business owner may make more profitable decisions. Keleigh states that this was the best thing she ever did for her business. Sondra Nash-Eaton has just completed her second year and has received assistance with the accounting aspect of her business. If there is any interest please speak with a board member!
- LBMA By-Law Revisions Revised By Laws
- Comments from general membership
- Gayle asked what changes were made and Holly went over a quick explanation. The new and old by-laws have been posted to the website since June and copies of the old and new have been emailed to the membership twice.
- Motion to approve postponed until November.
- Comments from general membership
- 2015 Membership Drive Update already given above
- 2015 Officer Nominations and Board Seats SLATED for 2015 as below
- President Nomination, Myron Barnum from Cedars Ocean View Inn – Soon to be Inn at the Arch
- Vice President Nomination, Clint Carter from Imperial Schooner
- Treasurer Nomination,
- Patrick Weros made mention but he lives in Raymond. Nicki Whittle asked about a bank employee. Carl Hintz from Lighthouse volunteered
- Secretary Nomination, Ariel Smith from the City of Ilwaco
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Robyn Unruh (2015 Board Member)] early planning is beginning
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (2015 Board Member)] Will be recombined for 2015 on June 20 of 2015. This will also reduce our insurance costs by about $500
- Doggie Olympic Games [Danielle Miller (2015 Board Member)] no report
- SandSations [Joyce Rangila (2015 Board Member)] no report
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (2015 Board Member] no report
- Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer (2015 Board Member)] almost done paying the bills and should have final numbers for next month’s meeting.
- Holidays at the Beach [Natalie Hanson (2015 Board Member)] Tree will be moved to Veterans field this year! 2015 dates will be moved to the first weekend in December. This year will be the same as always.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (2015 Board Member)] Date is set for Dec 4 at 5:30pm at the World Kite Museum. How many of us like to laugh? Great way to welcome the Christmas season and the more the merrier! Potluck and gift exchange! Open to everyone! White Elephant Flyer
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum [Holli Kemmer] Event in March will look back at all the kite posters and assist with the framing of the collection. Need $1600. Donations can be dropped off at the museum, mailed, call Holli and she can pick up.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Amelia Earhart, 3rd in the series from Don Nisbett for collectors items, theme is Up, UP and Away! Loyalty Days makes money from sale of flags and flag poles so be sure to purchase yours today!
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] told it will happen
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Summerfest is over. Fungus Festival is at the Farmer’s Market today! Friday the 10th of Oct is the Harvest Festival and final market. Free wagon rides on that day.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] John Denver impersonator concert at the Elks Lodge on the 18th
- Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton] no report
- Harvest Haul is under way! Choose your location and drop off food or cash donations. Sat 25th 11-2 at GNWFCU and Okies wrap up event. Credit Union will do a raffle that day.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [2015 Board Member] First year ever that the VB has run out of the vacation planners. 52,000 copies were distributed! August was the highest month ever! 5654 visitors, 15% increase over Aust of 13. Cover story in Sunset Magazine and got cover of NW Travel magazine. First set of clam digs have been approved!
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Steven Linhart] BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET
- Liaison to Long Beach Marketing Committee [Natalie Hanson] BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price]
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) October 6th
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) October 9th
- Long Beach Marketing Committee:, 9:00am, City Hall (3rd Tuesday) October 21st
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) October 17th
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) November 7th