LBMA General Meeting April 3, 2015
May 7, 2015
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, April 3rd, 2015 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Phillips called the meeting to order at 8:03am
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Minutes for March 6th, 2015 – Motion to approve the March 6th, 2015 minutes (Mike Myers/Guy Glenn) All Ayes
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
President Phillips announced that there were 7 new members for the month of March, which brings the membership total to 83.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Health Department Event Recycle Program- Kristen Sieff from Pacific County Department of Community Development presented the event recycling program. This program provides recycling bins for events to help promote the recycling program. It is available throughout the county.
Events Meeting after the Board Meeting on April 17th
Ragan Myers and Holli Kemmer will be presenting an events workshop after the board meeting on April 17th. They will present the information that they learned from the WEAF conference this year. There will also be time to evaluate the events and really take a look at the ones that are profitable and work vs. the ones that don’t.
Fundraiser for LBMA – Holidays at the Beach
Holidays at the Beach will be hosting a fundraiser similar to the one in June for Sandsations. This one will be help in October and all proceeds will go towards Holidays at the Beach.
President Phillips discussed that no one has stepped up to chair Doggie Olympics, therefore he doesn’t think that the event will occur this year. He had talked to those who have helped with the event in the past and it seemed that no one wanted to take it over. This will be discussed further at the April 17th Board Meeting, no one from the general membership objected to this idea. Therefore, as of now the event is suspended and a notice will be posted on their website.
Merchants Association Direction
President Phillips mentioned that he thought it was important to discuss the future of the LBMA. He wants to get all of Long Beach involved and the whole peninsula for that matter. There were some ideas thrown around about how to get merchants to participate more, possibly giving them a membership discount if they chair an event. There were a lot of questions about why more merchants don’t help with events or come to meetings. This is something that Jerry has been asking about when he is out and about in town. This discussion is to continue on.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Fundraiser for LBMA – Comedy Show at the Elk’s Lodge June 20th, 2015 – Treasurer Hintz mentioned this fundraiser, he also told the membership that tickets are available to check out. He wants everyone to promote it so that it can be a successful event so that there will be more in the future. There will be radio live reads to promote the event. The tickets will also be sold at sandsationslongbeach.com.
Trailer Storage – President Phillips mentioned that the trailer storage had been agreed upon for $700 per year. So the trailer that is currently at the City shop will be moved into the new storage unit.
New Budget Form – President Phillips mentioned that the budget would be broken down into an itemized budget so it would be clearer where money was going. He also said that since the Bluegrass Festival will not be coming back that they will use some of the money from that CD, but save the majority of it in case of an emergency.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Robyn Unruh (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Robyn reported that they tested the frying pan and everything was moving along
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Steven Linhart)] The metals and t-shirts have been ordered and plans are moving along.
- Doggie Olympic Games [Danielle Miller (Jerry Phillips)] possibly cancelled.
- SandSations [Joyce Rangila (Laura Smith)] The new website is up, new order forms, volunteer forms are done. Customers can now order merchandise online. The masters are booked, they are staying at the Chautauqua Lodge. There will be no sand in the city, it will all be on Bolstad.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Ariel mentioned that the new website is up and running, and encouraged everyone to go look at it.
- Holidays at the Beach [Mike Meyers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Will be two weekends this year, the weekend of Thanksgiving and the first weekend in December. They mentioned the fundraiser again and that planning was going good.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Nothing to report.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] Holli talked about the Spring break rush and trivia games that the museum is offering. She also mentioned all of the cross promotion that she was doing, she showed her coupon booklets.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Jerry gave an update, it is almost time and everyone is really excited.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Steven Linhart reported that the derby is scheduled for the first Saturday in May at 5:30am.
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Ragan mentioned that all of the talent is booked, it should be a good turnout. The market will begin the 2nd Friday in June.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] No report
- Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton] No report
- President Phillips also wanted to thank Nicki Whittle for all of her hard work promoting the Long Beach peninsula. He also wanted to thank Keleigh Schwartz of beachdog.com for all of her work on the website!
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] President Phillips gave a small report that the LBPVB had 58,000 in web traffic, 282 members and 629 visitors during March. They are having a great year, they also attended some trade shows during March. Robyn from the LBPVB mentioned the annual meeting on April 9th at 11:30 at the Klispan Senior Center. She encouraged everyone to attend and RSVP.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] Nothing to report.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] Gave a report of all the Easter events.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) May 4th, 2015
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) April 9th, 2015 Annual Meeting Klipsan Senior Center
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) April 17th, 2015
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) May 1st, 2015
- Bob Pensworth announced that he hadn’t been in attendance lately because he was in Forks working on “hot spots”.
President Phillips adjourned the meeting at 9:09am