LBMA General Meeting May 1st, 2015
June 8, 2015
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, May 1st, 2015 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Phillips called the meeting to order at 8:04am
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Minutes for April 3rd, 2015 – Motion to approve the April 3rd, 2015 minutes (Steven Linhart/Marla Johnson) All Ayes
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
President Phillips announced that there were roughly 85 members.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Pack2School Program- Gloria and Bill Buck presented this program that they in junction with Peninsula Baptist Church put on to gather school supplies for children that otherwise could not afford it. Last year they provided 412 students with materials and this year their goal is 450 students. They are in need of donations and volunteers to help put on this event. Their goal is $12,000.00 and they already have $10,000.00 so any support that would help them reach their goal is greatly appreciated.
Battle on the Beach – Ilwaco High School Girl’s Coach Ned Bittner
Coach Ned Bittner presented the annual Battle on the Beach basketball tournament that brings down roughly 22 teams down to the beach for the weekend. His request was $100.00 larger this year because he also represented the Boys Battle on the Beach and the Boys/Girls Wrestling Tournament that will both occur this summer as well. The Boys tournament brings down 12 teams the wrestling tournament is expected to bring down 300-400 wrestlers. With that said not only do the athletes come but so do their families and supporters putting heads in beds. This is a great community event that attracts a lot of out-of-towners to the beach. It was also mentioned that this item was budgeted for -$300.00 and the other $100.00 could come from the advertising line item as the board opted out of a previously budgeted for ad. Motion: Motion to approve the donation of $400.00 to the Battle on the Beach summer basketball and wrestling tournaments (Steven Linhart/Mike Myers).
Other new business mentioned:
Ration Station Flier for event at the Liberty Theater
Long Beach Circus coming to town in June – Peninsula Lions
Serf Perch Derby- Saturday May 2nd, 2015
Please remind those who are doing direct deposit purchases to make sure that they note what the money is intended for, at the request of Kathy the bookkeeper.
The tabs have been paid for the two trailers.
Charging for the use of the LBMA trailers- There was discussion on whether or not to charge for the use of the LBMA trailers. Motion: Motion to charge everyone who uses the LBMA trailers $25.00 per day (Steven Linhart/Mike Myers).
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Clam Festival – Clam Festival co-chair Robyn Unruh presented some facts about the recent Clam Festival. She noted that the weather was great, there was a great turn out for the clam cleaning station both Saturday and Sunday. There were 350 tickets available for the clam chowder cook-off and they were sold out in the first 45 minutes. She also mentioned that she will be stepping down and Jo Peterson will be replacing her, Jo shadowed Robyn this year. President Phillips thanked Robyn for her commitment over the last three years and wanted to make sure that she shared why she thought the event was such a success. He is hoping to meet with the clam festival committee to answer questions like: How can we make the event larger? What went well? How can we improve on an already successful event?
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – President Phillips inquired about possibly reviving the ribbon cutting ceremony for new businesses. He wants to make sure that business owners are aware of how active the LBMA is and that they want to show support. There was discussion over this and the consensus among the group was to move forward with this idea.
Fundraiser for LBMA – Comedy Show at the Elk’s Lodge June 20th, 2015 – Treasurer Hintz reminded everyone of the comedy event at the Elk’s on June 20th to help support the Sandsations.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
• Clam Festival [Robyn Unruh (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Robyn gave a report previously in the meeting.
• Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Steven Linhart)] Things are going well, the new website is up. There were questions whether or not the events should be merged in the books.
• Doggie Olympic Games [Danielle Miller (Jerry Phillips)] suspended.
• SandSations [Joyce Rangila (Laura Smith)] The new website is up, new order forms, volunteer forms are done. Customers can now order merchandise online. They are still looking for hotel rooms and teams.
• Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Ariel mentioned that Wendy has puts ads in the guest directory, Rodz Magazine and the Portland Mercury. She is also in the midst of getting an approval for her liquor license.
• Holidays at the Beach [Mike Myers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Mike mentioned that they are doing planning and reorganizing some details.
• LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Nothing to report.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
• World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] Marla mentioned that she is sending out letters for the posters. Moving along with the Kite Festival preparation.
• Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] The event was the next weekend, everyone as looking forward to meeting Amelia Earhart. She was presenting at schools and giving a speech at the banquet.
• Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Marla Johnson reported that the Long Beach Lion’s Club is now the Peninsula Lion’s Club.
• Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Ragan mentioned that all of the talent is booked, it should be a good turnout. The market will begin the 12th of June.
• Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] No report
• Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] President Phillips mentioned that there will be an oyster feed.
• Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton] Town Hall May7th.
• Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Robyn from the LBPVB mentioned that there were 6 blogs done in April, there have been 280 plans with Utrip. There were 2 press releases one for Loyalty Days and the other for Summer Fun. Robyn, Andi and Carole attended a conference in Bend, OR where there were 70 writers, publishers, and editors. The annual meeting went well, for 2014 they had $12 million that is $1spent = $218.18in earned media.
• Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] Nothing to report.
• Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] Nothing to report.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
• Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) June 1st, 2015
• Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) May 14, 2015
• LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) May 15th , 2015
• LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) June 5th, 2015
• President Phillips also mentioned that there would be no general meeting in July, August and September.
President Phillips adjourned the meeting at 8:48am