LBMA General Meeting Minutes June 5th, 2015
November 6, 2015
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, June 5, 2015 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Phillips called the meeting to order at 8:00am and asked that everyone stand for the pledge of allegiance.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached Sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Minutes for May 1st, 2015 – Motion to approve the May 1st, 2015 minutes (Mike Myers/Ruthann Hocking) All Ayes
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
President Phillips announced that he would like to see the membership reach 100 before the year is out.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Change officers to sign on CD at Key Bank – Changed signers at Credit Union for CD
President Phillips presented this item stating that the CD at Key Bank expires in October and he is hoping to combine this CD with the one at Great Northwest Credit Union that way they are in the same place. Motion to authorize the CD be moved to Great Northwest Credit Union, add the current officers Jerry Phillips, Karl Hintz, Ariel Smith and board member Ruthann Hocking. Two of the aforementioned people have to be present to access. (Mike Myers/Ruthann Hocking)
Close Safety Deposit Box at Key Bank and Open at Great Northwest Credit Union
President Phillips mentioned again that it would be nice to all items in branch. Therefore he suggested that the LBMA close the box at Key Bank and open one at GNWCU. Currently the box at Key Bank only contains some old tax return forms, and President Phillips hopes to add other important documents like agreements and vehicle registration. Motion to open the safety deposit box at GNWCU and close the one at Key Bank and adding Officers Jerry Phillips, Karl Hintz, Ariel Smith and board member Ruthann Hocking. Two of the aforementioned people have to be present to access. (Nikki Whittle/Judi Andrew)
President Phillips recommended that the Treasurer make a list of accounts and other items that need an authorized signers for the incoming officers for 2016. He also mentioned that it would be helpful if there was a list of the items in the safety deposit boxes.
Tags on trailers
The LBMA trailers have to new tabs on them and are ready for operation.
Other new business mentioned:
Paul Philpot from the EDC handed out materials on the EDC and how its impacts the community.
Bob Pensworth mentioned that there were 3 new Wi-Fi locations on the Long Beach Peninsula.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Fundraiser for LBMA – Comedy Show at the Elk’s Lodge June 20th, 2015 – Treasurer Hintz reminded everyone of the comedy event at the Elk’s on June 20th to help support the Sandsations. Currently there have been 55 tickets sold, there are 280 seats available. Nikki from the radio station mentioned that they are doing give-a-ways for 20 tickets. Karl also mentioned that it might be a good idea to include some sort of raffle or prize, Nikki was going to check with some companies across the river to see if they would be interested donating some prizes.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
• Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Ruthann mentioned that Robyn had moved and taken a job in Portland. There is a couple Peter and Jo are going to take over. Everyone is really committed to the event and it should be great next year.
• Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Steven Linhart)] Everything is going according to schedule.
• SandSations [Joyce Rangila (Laura Smith)] They have a meeting Monday night, the brochure is ready. President Phillips also gave the Sandsations team praise on all of their hard work.
• Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Wendy gave a report mentioning that everything was on track, she just got a huge donation from Fort George as they are donating all of the beer.
• Holidays at the Beach [Mike Myers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Mike mentioned that they have a meeting this week.
• LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Should be the 1st Thursday in December and everyone is invited to come, it’s a fun time!
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
• World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] Not in attendance, President Phillips mentioned that she was working on some sponsorships.
• Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] The event was a success and Amelia Earhart loved the Long Beach peninsula and seeing the parade.
• Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Derby went really well, about 30 people participated.
• Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] The rack cards for both events are in, Summerfest is already 3 weeks in and the market will begin the 12th of June.
• Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Guy mentioned that the tall ships were in last weekend, the 3rd of July fireworks show, Firecracker 5k is approaching, Tuna Classic in August, Blues and Seafood in August. He also mentioned two new businesses at the port, the Salt Hotel and ArtPort. Saturday Market is in full swing, Salmon fishing is open and the port is nearly full for the month of August. Guy also mentioned that while jetty construction is going on please don’t encourage people to fish along the jetty as it is extremely dangerous.
• Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] President Phillips mentioned that they are focusing on back pack for kids program, they serve breakfast on Sundays 8-11 and
• Wellspring Community Network [Lindsey Hylton] Lindsey has left her job at Wellspring so her replacement should be named soon.
• Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Overall spending in Pacific County is on the rise and LTAC dollars are up 21% for the year, Long Beach is up 19%, April overall was up 17. At the year-end total visitors were up 14%, which is the highest reported. This year is on track to be even higher, currently Pacific County is 29/39 in population in the state, 18/39 in revenue within the county and 17/39 for increase in revenue.
• Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] Some current issues that the City Council is faced with are the dog park and skateboard park.
• Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] Laura provided a verbal report, for more information please ask.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
• Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) June 1st, 2015
• Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) May 14, 2015
• LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) May 15th , 2015
• LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) June 5th, 2015
• President Phillips also mentioned that there would be no general meeting in July, August and September. He also stated that DFW is looking into getting a grant from RCO for bear-proof garbage cans.
• Nikki also announced that it was the 30th anniversary of the Goonies, so be prepared for heavy traffic in Astoria.
President Phillips adjourned the meeting at 8:48am