LBMA General Meeting Minutes 11-6-15
January 8, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, November 6th, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Phillips called the meeting to order at 8:00am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
June 5th, 2015 Regular Meeting
October 2nd, 2015 Regular Meeting
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently were have received 82 membership forms returned for 2016. President Phillips suggestions that some members in attendance reach out to those who haven’t yet paid for 2016. He went through the list and divided it up.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Officers 2016 – President Phillips went through the list and announced the officers for 2016 and asked for motions from the members. Motion to nominate Karl Hintz as 2016 LBMA President was made by Steven Linhart/Laura Price. Motion to nominate Clint Carter for another term as Vice President was made by Laura Price/Steven Linhart. Motion to nominate Ariel Smith for another term as Secretary was made by Steven Linhart/Laura Price. Motion to nominate Myron Barnum for Treasurer was made by Steven Linhart/Laura Price.
Vinessa Karnofski from Wellspring presented a power point- attached. She explained what Wellspring does, who they fund, what their mission is and how to help. They are always looking for donations and others to help.
Holli Kemmer presented the “pending coffee” idea, which is attached. Explaining that customers pay for more coffees/meals than they receive in anticipation for someone in need to come in and cash the “pending coffee”. She thought she would just bring the idea to the merchants and see what they thought. Maybe it was something the community could participate in.
Comedy Fundraiser for Holidays at the Beach, November 7th at the Elks Lodge
The Officers again reminded everyone of the event this coming Saturday. President Phillips explained that there would be food available for purchase and that volunteers are needed. If anyone wanted to show up around 4 they could use some help setting up. He also went over some of the raffle prizes that will be there.
Other new business mentioned:
Steven Linhart wanted to thank the LBMA for their contribution to the cross-walk in North Long Beach.
President Phillips also wanted to bring the idea up again that the merchants were looking into possibly hiring someone to be a project manager in 2016.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Ruth Ann was going to ask Randy to attend meetings.
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Steven Linhart)] Nothing to report.
- SandSations [Joyce Rangila (Laura Smith)] Treasurer Hintz mentioned that he had spoken to Joyce and she is willing to help the chair next year. The event is still in need of a chair.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] The event had more attend in 2015 then before and it made more money in 2015 than before.
- Holidays at the Beach [Mike Myers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Rack cards have been produced with the schedule on them.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] December 3rd at 5:30pm at the World Kite Museum and encourages everyone to come with a gag gift and a potluck item.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] Kite Festival planning has begun, reported that the parking lot was a success but where the profit goes from the parking proceeds should be better advertised.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Remember that the loyalty day flags help with the costs of the parade, they are available at the Cottage Bakery.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] It is on track.
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Doesn’t have enough information until budget season is over.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Christmas activities are coming up, the Port Christmas market and the crab pot Christmas tree lighting. The Port is also dredging the marina and helping the Port of Chinook with their current problems.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Veteran’s Day lunch on November 11th with a guest speaker.
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski ] Gave an update about the warming shelter and mini grants available.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Drew Foster from the LBPVB was in attendance and said that Jane is working on membership. The 2016 beach vacation planner is on track for 2016, numbers for visitors is down by 100 probably due to the lack of clam tides.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – They are busy working on the 2016 budget.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Reported on various events and updates throughout the Peninsula.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) December 7th, 2015
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) December 10th, 2015
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) No Board meeting in December
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) December 4th, 2015
President Phillips adjourned the meeting at 9:01am