LBMA General Meeting Minutes 12-4-15
January 8, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, December 4th, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Phillips called the meeting to order at 8:02am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached Sign-in sheet.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Unable to approve minutes as a quorum was not present.
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 87 membership forms returned for 2016. President Phillips mentioned that the 2016 budget was based on 100 members. He also would like to reach out to those who were members in 2015 and not in 2016.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Budget 2016 – President Phillips went through the budget and explained line items, there were some questions surrounding the trailer expenses and revenues. There was also mention of trailer maintenance and the fact that they need to be repainted.
Jake’s Birthday LTAC request from the City of Long Beach
President Phillips mentioned that the City of Long Beach was finished with their budget workshops, however there will be some workshops in January to carefully go over each LTAC funded request to reevaluate for 2017.
Other business mentioned:
There was more discussion about Sandsations, the name of the event whether or not that should be looked at in the future as it is hard for visitors to know exactly what “Sandsations” means or where “Veterans Field” is located. There was more talk about why Sandsations is still in the red, the need for more donations and community support. The fact that it might be better off if the event is simplified. The event is now going to cross promote with Ocean Shores to try and bring participants and spectators from that event to the Long Beach event as well.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Not in attendance
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Steven Linhart)] Not in attendance
- SandSations [Joyce Rangila (Laura Smith)] Not in attendance
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Nothing to report.
- Holidays at the Beach [Mike Myers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] The first weekend went very well and everyone is looking forward to the second weekend of activities on December 5th.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] The event was last night and it was a lot of fun, Sondra Eaton mentioned that she wished more people would have attended. That the community merchants need to support one another.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] mentioned that the Pickled Fish will be sponsoring the stage at the Kite Festival and that there will be bands Wednesday through Saturday.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] It is happening.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Not in attendance
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] The Farmer’s market will be funded, the Summerfest schedule is yet to be finalized.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Dredging continues to happen at the Port, there are some repairs being done at the boat yard. The crab port Christmas tree lighting will be this Saturday at 5pm, the SALT pub will also have an open house. The Port of Ilwaco continues to assist the Port of Chinook while they face some challenges. Guy also wanted to thank the merchants and the officers for all that they do with the events throughout the year.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] President Phillips reported that the Elks served 350 Thanksgiving dinners this year, next year they will be pairing up with the Inn at the Harbour Village. They expect to serve around 650 Christmas dinners this year, they will also deliver the meals. There will be toys for kids and other events around Christmas.
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski ] Not in attendance
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Andi Day that for the month of November visitors were only down 88 from last year, this is probably due to the lack of clam tides but those numbers are still way up from 2013. The year to date numbers for 2015 are higher than 2014. The Board of Directors planning session will happen next Thursday, she really wants to incorporate the whole county. The 2016 beach vacation planner is almost complete, they will also be revising the peninsula maps next year and calling them “Discovery Maps”. Drew will be hosting two social media workshops January 5th and 19th.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – 2016 budget workshops are complete.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Reported on various events and updates throughout the Peninsula.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays) January 4th, 2016
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday) January 13th, 2016
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday) January 15th, 2016
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday) January 8th, 2016
President Phillips adjourned the meeting at 9:22am