LBMA General Meeting Minutes 1-8-16
March 4, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, January 08, 2016, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Hintz called the meeting to order at 8:02am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Motion to approve the November 6, 2015 minutes (Laura Price/Mike Myers) All Ayes, motion carried
Motion to approve the December 4, 2015 minutes (Holli Kemmer/Mike Myers) All Ayes, motion carried
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
President Karl Hintz provided a report.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 89 membership forms returned for 2016. The goal is again reach 100 members, hopefully a membership committee will be form to achieve that.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Developing a Membership Committee- President Hintz wants to develop a membership committee that focuses on gaining new members. Identifying common questions from the community, answering “what can the merchants do for me” or “how will this benefit my business”. Clint would head the committee up as the vice president and Karl volunteered as did Kris Pointer from the Timberland Library. This would be first step in reaching out to new members.
Budget 2016– President Hintz explained that the 2016 presented balance budget reflects 100 members and routine annual expenditures. Motion to pass the 2016 budget as presented (Mary DeLong/Clint Carter) All Ayes motion carries.
Volunteer to Manage LBMA Facebook Page- President Hintz had recently attended a Facebook 101 class put on by LBPVB Drew Foster, so he turned to him multiple times during the presentation of this item. The need for an open Facebook page is needed to encourage new members to join and to share relevant information.
Volunteer Photographer- LBMA is need of someone to take pictures throughout the meetings, at events and other LBMA related happenings. It was discussed and decided that members can take photos and then share them to the Facebook wall and or give them to those in charge of the Facebook page.
Sandsations SSL Certificate- The SSL certification will be expiring soon, this was originally purchased for Sandsations, so that merchandise could be purchased. The idea now is to extend the SSL certificate to all merchants’ events. Motion to approve this action (Laura Price/Guy Glenn) All ayes, motion carries.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Membership Update – We currently have 89 members and hope to reach 100.
MERCHNAT MINUTE (10 min)
Sondra Eaton from Peninsula Golf Course and The Cove Restaurant presented her businesses. She gave a brief history on the golf course and mentioned the improvements that have been made in the last couple years. She really emphasized the need for community and local support. Everyone needs to support each other in order for businesses to survive, it’s a fact of life around here. Her hours are Tuesday through Saturday 11:00am – 3:00pm for lunch and Wednesday through Saturday 5:00pm – 8:00pm for dinner service. The Cove offers a variety of different dishes, they also provide catering services and are very active with local charities.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Randy Dennis mentioned that their first committee meeting is today. The event is the 9th and 10th of April, everything is going pretty smoothly so far.
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Liaison needed)] Not in attendance
- SandSations [Karl Hintz] Karl gave a report, he is going to be the chair is conjunction with Burt Adams. There were many things that were set up for them in 2015 so he believes it will be an easy transition.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Nothing to report.
- Holidays at the Beach [Mike Myers (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Ruth Ann wanted to mention that everything went very well, she was proud of those we stepped up and the event will go back to its original weekend for 2016.
- LBMA After Hours [Ruth Ann Hocking (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Ruth Ann is handing this event off to Holli Kemmer for the future.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer] Elaborated on supporting locals, local business and events. She also stressed the importance of cross-promotion, coupon books and other ideas that can benefit all local business. She also mentioned the 15th annual Windless Kite Festival that will be on January 22nd at the Long Beach Elementary School gym.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Ruth Ann is working on center pieces, the theme is Old Glory.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Not in attendance
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] Summerfest will begin Memorial Day Weekend.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Dredging continues to happen at the Port, crabbing is now in full swing. Guy also mentioned the Interlocal agreement with the Port of Chinook, that they will be taking over the management of the Port of Chinook but commissioners will remain separate. He also mentioned the new IMA members, Scott Barker, Jacob Moore and Don Nisbett.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Sports Boosters Crab Feed January 16th.
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski] Not in attendance, but others mentioned Project Homeless Connect, the Mini grants are about to awarded.
- Port of Peninsula [Mary DeLong (Jay Personius) Jay mentioned that they are re-building the docks, materials are made locally. He really wanted to empathize giving back to the community, he mentioned the possible events center, trail extensions and a new manufacturing company that might be moving into the area soon. The Port of Peninsula really wants to help in any way possible to increase jobs and productivity in the local region.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Drew Foster presented the 2016 Beach Visitor’s Guide and that he will hosting another Facebook class with a three-person panel February 9th from 6-8pm at the Ilwaco Community Building.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – There is an open seat on the Council.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Reported on various events and updates throughout the Peninsula.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays)
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday)
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday)
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday)
President Hintz adjourned the meeting at 9:34am