LBMA General Meeting Minutes 3-4-16
May 6, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, March 4, 2016, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Hintz called the meeting to order at 8:03am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
January 8th, 2016 – motion to approve the January 8th minutes made by Clint Carter and a second by Mike Myers
February 5th, 2016 – motion to approve the February 5th minutes made by Clint Carter and a second by Mike Myers
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
President Karl Hintz provided a report, LBMA has a grand told of $71,356.29.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 91 membership forms returned for 2016. The goal is again reach 100 members, hopefully a membership committee will be form to achieve that.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Sandsations Vendors – President Hintz presented this item, it has been discussed in the past. A motion was passed to allow vendors at sandsations (Mike Myers/Clint Carter).
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
2016 Membership Stickers – President Hintz mentioned that the 2016 membership stickers were in and to take one. He also asked the membership whether hand delivery or mail would be best, it was agreed that mailing them would be the best route this year.
MERCHNAT MINUTE (10 min)
Michelle Svendsen from North Jetty Brewing presented, giving a brief history on how the business started. They hope to attend 25 festivals this year, last year they attended 15. North Jetty beer is currently in 9 counties in Washington State and 2 in Oregon. They are also currently distributing bottles of Cape Disappointment and Lead Better Red and soon Yellow Boots. She also mentioned that they plan to build some possible storage behind their current building in the future. The business continues to grow and expand and they take every chance they get to promote the Long Beach Peninsula.
Sgt. Madtson from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board attending the meeting and gave an introduction to what he does and what his agency does. His office is out of Vancouver and he specifically patrols retail marijuana stores. He also offers classes within his jurisdiction, one of which will be at the South Pacific County building on March 28th from 10-12.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Randy Dennis was in attendance and explained what had been going on recently with the clam festival. He went over all of the events and he is still in need of 4 people to cook clam fritters on the big frying pan. He still needs two restaurants to participate in the clam chowder cook-off. Clam lessons are filling up, there will be a Saturday market at the Port of Ilwaco. Everything is on schedule as planned, and to hope for good weather!
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Laura Price)] Michelle mentioned that North Jetty Brewing is paring with the Beach to Chowder to provide everyone who participates with a drink coupon.
- SandSations [Karl Hintz] Karl previously gave a little report, he mentioned that he met with the Sandsations committee and other jurisdictions who have a sandcastle building contest. They are putting together the materials to have a rack card put together.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Wendy has arranged for the music and lights, she has a caterer who wants to roast a pig on stage. Her rack cards are almost done and should be ready next month.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Its happening in 2016.
- LBMA After Hours [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Its happening in 2016.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer]Not in attendance
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] The buttons are out, applications are coming in, Ben Franklin is the speaker, and they are still in need of volunteers. Bob Andrew also wanted to mention the white light program where businesses around Long Beach trim their buildings with white lights so create a “Leavenworth in Long Beach” look. He encourages everyone to participate and to contact the bakery if they are interested in more information or Curb-side Appeal.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Not in attendance
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] The schedules are almost complete as are the rack cards. The Facebook pages are being transformed so please check them out!
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Dredging continues, they received 1.4 million in federal money to continue dredging. Guy also mentioned the SALT Pub and how well that is doing down at the Port and they are hosting “Salty talks” in conjunction with the Heritage museum. Summer reservations for both Ilwaco and Chinook are filling up, the Chinook park will also open up to dry camp this summer.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Not in attendance
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski] Not in attendance.
- Port of Peninsula [Mary DeLong (Jay Personius) Jay mentioned that the geocaching coin was approved by the board at the Port of Peninsula. He also mentioned a project that joins the new Wildlife Refuge with the discovery trail, this project is supported throughout the Peninsula. Also the Port of Peninsula is working with the PUD to install two new eclectic vehicle charging stations.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Drew Foster mentioned that the LBPVB has attending multiple conventions in the last couple months, he is also going to attend the PMA west conference in LA this year.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – Not in attendance
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Not in attendance
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays)
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday)
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday)
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday)
President Hintz adjourned the meeting at 9:14am