LBMA General Meeting Minutes 4-1-16
May 6, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, April 1, 2016, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Hintz called the meeting to order at 8:04am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Not enough members in attendance
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
President Karl Hintz provided a report
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 92 membership forms returned for 2016. The goal is again reach 100 members, hopefully a membership committee will be form to achieve that.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Facebook Update – Drew Foster from the LBPVB and Jay Personius from the Port of Peninsula have diligently working to improve the LBMA Facebook page. They are going to get together sometime this week to have a meeting and discuss future plans. Karl encourages people to send pictures, materials and other items to Drew so that he can post them.
MERCHNAT MINUTE (10 min)
Andi Day from the Long Beach Peninsula Visitors Bureau presented and explained the difference between a DMO, Chamber and Visitor’s Center. She also mentioned how the LBPVB receives funding, 2/3 from municipalities and LTAC dollars and the other 1/3 from memberships. The LBPVB is here to help market the whole county and support whomever they can! She really emphasized the support for events, they pass materials out all throughout the state to help promote tourism here on the peninsula. She also mentioned the food collaborative and lodging collaborative that brings local businesses together for a single purpose, to help bring more tourism. The LBPVB annual meeting will be held this April and she encourages everyone to come.
Ned Bittner (head coach) from the Ilwaco High School Girls Basketball team presented the Battle on the Beach tournament, along with the High School Wrestling event. He mentioned the number of families and that come to the peninsula during those times to support their kids who are participating in the tournament. Ned asked for $400 for the purchase of sweatshirts and t-shirts to sell at the events, this item was budgeted for. He thanked everyone for their support.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Dianna from Dennis Company was in attendance she mentioned that there are 110 people signed up for clam digging lessons, 9 restaurants and 8 locals cooking clam fritters. They have also received $1500 in cash donations and encourage people to “like” their Facebook page as it has 5500 likes and growing.
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk and Half Marathon [Jeff Harrell (Laura Price)] the rack cards are almost done and they are advertising in NWrunner again and will soon put out a press release
- SandSations [Karl Hintz] the mock-up for the art is in and they chose to go with Rainy Day Artistry, City of Long Beach approved the busker program and they are looking for lodging for the buskers throughout the summer.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Wendy is out of town, no update.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Nothing to report.
- LBMA After Hours [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Nothing to report.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer]Not in attendance
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] Not in attendance
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] Not in attendance
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] the events are complete and the rack cards are going to press.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Not in attendance
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Not in attendance
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski] Not in attendance.
- Port of Peninsula [Mary DeLong (Jay Personius) Jay mentioned that the fast charging station project Is moving along, they will be apart of the green west coast highway. He is also working with Laurie Freeman to confirm the geocaching coins.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Gave a presentation earlier.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – Not in attendance
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Gave updates throughout the cities, Black Lake fishing derby April 30th, Loyalty Days Children’s Parade April 30, Loyalty Days Dinner May 1st, Clam Festival, she also gave an update on the Ocean Park Pharmacy renovation with the Ocean Beach Hospital.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays)
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday)
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday)
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday)
President Hintz adjourned the meeting at 9:09am