LBMA General Meeting Minutes 5-6-16
June 3, 2016
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, May 6, 2016, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Hintz called the meeting to order at 8:04am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Motion to approve the March 4th meeting minutes (Guy/Laura) All in favor
Motion to approve the April 1st meeting minutes (Mike/Guy) All in favor
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
President Karl Hintz provided a report
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 91 membership forms returned for 2016. President Hintz also wanted to remind everyone that a membership committee was formed to help promote membership in 2017.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Attendance – President Hintz wanted to mention the fact that attendance has been low over the last couple meetings. He asked those in attendance if the meeting was moved to lunch time, if that would better serve their schedules. The consensus was made the meeting should be left at 8:00am as most members work during the day. He also threw around the idea of local coupon books to help cross promote. Kathy from Capt. Bob’s Chowder House asked what the merchants can do for her business, what can they bring to the table, how can they help promote her business? The Facebook page was mentioned again, whether to have an open or closed Facebook page as the LBPVB just started a closed group. Discussion continued around this topic.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Geocaching Coins – President Hintz presented this item stating that Laurie Freeman had been working with Jay from the Port of Peninsula to determine the right coin design and theme. Jay mentioned that the Port of Peninsula committed to $2500 for the coins and that would fund the smaller round coins at $6 a piece – 300 count. If the LBMA wants to go with the “treasure map” style coin those are more like $13 apiece and the Port of Peninsula is asking for either a partner to couple funding with or have the merchants match the $2500. OMG radio spoke up and wanted to see the hard costs, there will be more to come on this topic.
MERCHNAT MINUTE (10 min)
Kristina Renner from the Best Western in Long Beach, they opened on February 9th at 2:19, the cost of the renovation was 2million and they currently have 50 rooms with 4 suites. The grand opening will be at the end of the month. During the month of April this year they were $60,000 in sales higher than 2015. They also have a fitness center, continental breakfast area, and pet-friendly rooms. Just be sure to make a note when making a reservation that you have a pet as they have 13 pet-friendly rooms and that is it. She encourages people to stop by and take a look around.
James Clancy from the American Red Cross was the guest speaker. He started out by saying how hard it is to get volunteers, he has worked at this for a year and has only obtained 2 volunteers. So to keep fighting for that sense of community, as it is so important. People tend to get involved once a disaster happens, not before. He was mainly there to talk about the emergency food list, which houses facilities that are capable of making meals during a disaster. The Red Cross has a list so in the event something were to happen they can go down the list and ask those business if they can supply food for X number of people X number of days. He also encourages those in the audience to get CERT training. The Red Cross meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month at the Ilwaco Community Building.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Randy Dennis (Ruth Ann Hocking)] Randy and Dianna are both stepping back to take an active role at Dennis Company during the event. Russel Maize said he would step up to take over the event and he is meeting with Randy soon.
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk [Jeff Harrell (Laura Price)] 5/10k going to be June 18th and registration will be at the gazebo in Long Beach.
- SandSations [Karl Hintz] Karl met with Keleigh and Wendy to go over the website and rack cards. The tides are unfortunately not looking good for this year, although sponsorships look really good for this year.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)] Everything is on schedule.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] the event is going back to the weekend after Thanksgiving, they are in the middle of updating the website and other materials. They will also have a float or something in the 4th of July parade.
- LBMA After Hours [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)] She will start working on it more towards November.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer]Kite Festival is full steam ahead there will be live music from Wednesday through Saturday and also a DJ with live reads. They are in the middle of completing the program, getting everything updated.
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)] this year was a success with 118 entries, 21 banks and the planning for 2017 has already started.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)] May 21st from 6am-3pm
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers/Gayle Borchard (City of Long Beach)] the schedule of events is complete and being distrusted.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)] Saturday Market has begun, Blues and Seafood will be at the end of September, and the Firecracker 5k will be on 4th of July weekend, the fireworks at the Port will be that Saturday night. The Chinook school project continues they are getting new flooring in, the Chinook Park will be open for day use this year under the supervision of the Chinook Port.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)] Not in attendance
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski] Not in attendance.
- Port of Peninsula [Mary DeLong (Jay Personius) Jay mentioned that the fast charging station project is moving along, they hope to have it complete by the peak season. He also mentioned that 1 in 4 oysters in the country come from Willapa Bay.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] – Just mentioned the LBPVB Annual Meeting will be on May 12th, from 11:30 to 1:30 at the Columbia Heritage Museum.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – Holli Kemmer reported nothing really eventful, a lot of new business applications.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Not in Attendance
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays)
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday)
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday)
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday)
President Hintz adjourned the meeting at 9:38am