LBMA General Meeting Minutes 6-3-16
January 9, 2017
Long Beach Merchants Association Regular Meeting
Friday, June 3, 2016, 8:00 AM
Lightship Restaurant @ Chautauqua Lodge, Long Beach
CALL TO ORDER
President Hintz called the meeting to order at 8:03am.
INTRODUCTIONS (5 min)
Please see the attached sign-in sheet
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (1 min)
Motion to approve the May 6th meeting minutes (Laura Smith/Laura Price) All in favor
TREASURER’S REPORT (2 min)
Treasurer Laura Smith provided a report – total $63,883.88
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (2 min)
Currently we have received 92 membership forms returned for 2016. President Hintz also wanted to remind everyone that a membership committee was formed to help promote membership in 2017. Some new businesses in town were mentioned possible to try and approach for membership.
NEW BUSINESS (10 min)
Clint wanted to mention the organization United by Music of North America which integrates young adults with special needs in with bands. Clint would like to see them participate in Blues and Seafood, it costs roughly between $1,000 – $1,500 and he will provide more information to the board later this month.
Karl also wanted to mention an email from Kathy- the book keeper to please name the event when charging at Dennis Company, turn in receipts to either her or Laura Smith at the Bank of Pacific for Sid’s and to also make copies of deposit slips.
Jerry also mentioned the Fur Ball Tournament at the Peninsula Golf Couse on June 25th to benefit the animals of the South Pacific Humane Society.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (10 min)
Geocaching Coins – President Hintz presented this item stating that Port of Peninsula had committed to $2,000 of the total $4,000 cost, leaving a balance of $2,000 and $500 of that was to be covered by Ohana Media Group and $1,000 by the LBMA. So we are still seeking a sponsor for another $500.
MERCHNAT MINUTE (10 min)
Char Wolters from Lighthouse Realty was the guest speaker and she started off by thanking everyone in the room for being so welcoming in this city, it makes things easier to sell real estate. She went on to talk about the real estate market, things are picking up and buyers are coming from all round the nation. The inventory is starting to get smaller, and typically sellers are getting about 96% of their asking price. The sales are ranging from about $100k – $150k and the typical house is about 1400 sq ft. Commercial sales and vacant land sales are behind residential and should pick up soon as homes are selling for about $158 per sq ft. and that will then attract builders. Overall the market is improving and continues to show improvement.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (15 min)
LBMA Events: [Chair (Supervising Board Member)]
- Clam Festival [Russel Maize (Ruth Ann Hocking)]-Ruth Ann hopes to meet with Russel soon, North Jetty has committed to do the beer garden again next year.
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk [Jeff Harrell (Laura Price)]-5/10k going to be June 18th the shirts and trophies are done everything is shaping out to be a great event.
- SandSations [Karl Hintz]-Karl is meeting with Ragan, Mike and Don on Monday to go over logistics, sponsorships are up and the buskers should be arriving soon.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry (Ariel Smith)]-Wendy just got PayPal set up and is inviting other festival chairs to let her know if they want to join.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)]-They will have a meeting in a couple months.
- LBMA After Hours [Holli Kemmer (Ruth Ann Hocking)]-She will start working on it more towards November.
OTHER REPORTS (15 min)
Non-LBMA Events: [Chair (Entity)]
- World Kite Museum & Kite Festival [Holli Kemmer]- Not in attendance
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew (Loyalty Days Foundation)]-Ruth Ann said they are working on next year to be as successful as this year.
- Surf Perch Derby [Marla Johnson (Long Beach Lion’s Club)]-It happened.
- Summerfest/Columbia Pacific Farmer’s Market [Ragan Myers (City of Long Beach)]-The market will start June 10th and there is entertainment and activities scheduled for each weekend.
- Port of Ilwaco [(Guy Glenn Jr.)]- The tall ships are in port right now, Port of Chinook has a gas leak that they are currently working on to fix, the Chinook Park is now open, and the firecracker 5k is upcoming as are the fireworks at the Port.
- Long Beach Elk’s Lodge [Maureen Gilbert (BPOE No.1937)]-Not in attendance
- Wellspring Community Network [Vinessa Karnofski]-Not in attendance.
- Port of Peninsula [Mary DeLong (Jay Personius)-Not in attendance.
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board [Karl Hintz] –Drew mentioned that the next board meeting will be at the NW Carriage Museum in Raymond and that the LBPVB is trying to a have meeting or two in north county a year.
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Jerry Phillips] – Mayor Jerry Phillips mentioned that the Stanley Field project is going well, it will be both a soccer and baseball field with improved drainage and it should be complete by October. LTAC monies are up and continue to be up month after month, Gayle is retiring as the Community Development Director and the city is currently taking applications. The city was also awarded a WellCity award from AWC.
- Liaison to Ocean Park Chamber & Ilwaco Merchant Association [Laura Price] – Mentioned that there were a lot of activities happening this weekend and throughout the summer. Some of which were the Beach Cleanup – July 5th, Garlic Festival June 18-19 and various other events. Ask for flyers if interested.
ANNOUNCEMENTS (2 min)
- Long Beach City Council:, 7:00pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Mondays)
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitor’s Bureau Board:, Noon, TBD (2nd Thursday)
- LBMA Board:, 8:00am, Benson’s by the Beach (3rd Friday)
- LBMA General Meeting:, 8:00am, Lightship (1st Friday)
President Hintz adjourned the meeting at 8:58am