Long Beach Merchants Association | Regular Meeting
Friday, February 3rd, 2012 8:00 am
Benson’s by the Beach Restaurant; 504 S Pacific in Long Beach; 642-3300
CALL TO ORDER
Call to order at 8:00 am
Bob Andrew, Kay Buesing, Sherry Hash, Rick Green, Ruth Ann Hocking, Steven Linhart, Merry Scharfe, Karn Jacobs, Jeff Harrell, Sue Ellyson, Gayle Borchard, Holly Beller, Keith Schwartz, Dale Jacobson, Sam Burton, Troy Rodenbaugh, Craig Smith, Nicki Whittle, Michael Myers, Ragan Andrew, Laura Price, Patrick Weros, Missy Bageant
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion was made by: Merry S. Seconded by: Craig Smith, Motion passes
See attached pdf file: img075
- Ask for volunteer from the LBMA Members to act as the LBMA Liaison to the City Lodging Tax Advisory Committee. Craig Smith has volunteered to be the new LTAC Liaison.
- Doggie Olympic Games: [Mollie] Working with Beachdog.com on updating the website, also working with Beachdog.com on new rackcards, meeting with Skookum Surf to discuss adding Dog Surfing as a fun category for the Olympics, Working on getting sponsors and donations for goody bags for dogs and parents, Working with local advertisers in Astoria and also branching out to Portland and Seattle for advertising to draw folks in for the Olympics.
- SandSations : [IN NEED OF A CHAIRPERSON] call from Lighthouse Ocean Front Resort will be the sponsor this year! Tressla Olson is the contact person.
- Jake’s Birthday [Wendy Murry] Rebel Rodz Magazine has picked up the event again, FREE media coverage! Everything else on schedual.
- Kite Festival [Jane Holman] Poster from last year by Don Nisbett, vendors are coming in already
- Beach to Chowder Run/Walk [Jeff Harrell/ Sherry Hash] added $5 to the half marathon, new timing system will be ordered in the next week or so. Timing system cost a little bit of money but it will pay for itself in the next year.
- Holidays at the Beach [Holly Beller] nothing new to report, social media out there.
- Kite Museum [Kay Buesing] Windless kite coverage by The daily Astorian….a large article. Asian celebration this weekend, because of the e-letter they got a gentlemen from Germany send a picture from when he visited Bali and another kite. 3 large kinds of kites that are on display at the WKM. Sat and Sun shadow puppets show about bats also this weekend. Display will be there till March 26th!
- Loyalty Days [Bob Andrew] President John Adams as speaker this year. Working on schedule of events, 6 bands already confirmed, reminder notice has gone out. 3rd cuts are out and in all of their mailings so far this year. Memorial with flag plaza and liberty bell has been approved to go on city property on Veterans Field (aka funland field)…southeast corner of the property. Deadline for parade app is April 15th, Theme Fallen and Not Forgotten/ Special Forces of each branch of the services.
- Surf Perch Derby [Dale Jacobson] in contact with Al Harper who ran it for years and getting tips from him. Trying to get everything done by the end of this month. The perch is the 1st Saturday AFTER mother’s day.
- SummerFest [Ragan Andrew] Nothing to report at this time
- Long Beach Peninsula Visitors Bureau [Holly Beller] closed the application process for Director. Next meeting is the second Tuesday of this month (9th)
- Liaison to Long Beach City Council [Steven Linhart] A special fund for the peninsula for advertising from the LTAC target a marketing campaign for march April and may…need business name and phone number what you are willing to offer as a discount. Discount is good for march, April , may….it is up to you on how you want to work the discount. It is FREE! Email address to send it email@example.com does not have to be a member of the LBMA or VB. The campaign is to target Military families with a valid Military ID. Keilgh and Mike Litawa are working on the advertising. 2 hotels on board who are willing to discount 15%
- City Lodging Tax Advisory Committee Obbies….court awards the rights to demo the building. Everything above the ground will be removed.
- Liaison to Ocean Park, Ilwaco [Laura Price] Ilwaco new board John Shambo membership letters went out dues will be moved up to $100 and will also allow individual members. Pen players little Mary Sunshine, valentines dance 70’s theme, water will return to a water in out billing system. OP: food bank simple questers 2500 lbs. of food on first pick up. Executive committee to open forum to discuss the garlic vendors. YouTube video of the area. Watch computers due to a surge of viruses going out. Bunco nights fund food for kids held at the LB grange…..
- Farmers Market: Sheryl Sherpero the new director, she is from OP, she is at a conference right now. We have a stage but no money to pay for entertainment. Onsite hot food with requirements. Self packaged shelf stable products. Friday before mother’s day till Labor Day.
ü LB City Council Meeting: February 6th and 20th, 2012 7:00 pm, City Hall (1st & 3rd Monday’s)
ü LTAC Meeting: February 21st, 2012 9am at City Hall(3nd Tuesday)
ü LBMA Board Meeting: February 17th, 2012 (3rd Friday)
ü LBMA Meeting: March 2nd, 2012 8am at Benson’s by the Beach(1st Friday)